Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Out of the Frying Pan

Yesterday I went to the Children's Hospital (La Mascota) and visited with the families and children in the oncology department. OH MY!! The conditions of these children is so very sad. (For an idea of medical conditions in this country, see this article from a student's perspective). The kids try really hard to respond and smile a bit. It's absolutely nothing like you'd imagine. It is pretty clean, I must say. There seemed to be only one "nurse" in each area. Families bring food daily and sheets and pillows and anything else that's needed. It's a whole different approach to hospitalization than what we are used to in the states. We seem to take so much for granted.

1 comment:

Rudee said...

Amazing article--and yes, very timely for your cause. I hope it inspires some donations for your mission. I know I am sending SSJ-Nicaragua fund some money today! Good luck and thank you for doing what you do. I'm looking forward to some posts about Cantera Sister!